How to Export Vehicles from Germany


Exporting a vehicle is not always easy. Customs regulations and tax rules must be complied with. Copart Germany has summarized for you what you need to know.

The automobile industry is one of the most important economic sectors in Germany. After all, Germany is one of the strongest export countries worldwide. That is naturally good news for exporters. According to a VDA article from 19.11.19, the European Automotive Market in October rose by nine percent to 1,2 million vehicles.

In comparison to other countries, Germany reported one of the biggest growth increases. For this reason, the exportation of vehicles is certainly very profitable. Therefore, we have some advice for what to watch out for when exporting vehicles.

Helpful Hints to Deal with Official Channels

Before you export a car, make sure you have all the papers you need. The first step for an export is the export declaration. This is important if you want to use a vehicle purchased in the EU for private use in a non-EU Member State. For this there are two steps: First, the electronic declaration must be processed in the ATLAS and then the vehicle must be registered at the exit point when leaving the customs territory.

If you buy a cheap car at Copart that has a maximum value of 1.000 Euros and weighs no more than 1.000 kilograms, then an oral or implied application at the customs office of exit is sufficient (, 2019).

Please note, among other requirements, the sales  contract must be completed and the number plates must be presented before an export takes place. For temporarily registered vehicles outside Europe, you should also apply for an International Registration Certificate.

Don’t Forget Export Plates

The German bureaucracy is not always simple. That is why it is important that you are well informed ahead of time. The choice of license plate plays a major role here. For your application you need a vehicle registration document and vehicle registration certificate (vehicle permit I and II) as well as an identify card or passport and, if represented, a power of attorney (ADAC, 2019).

For used vehicles that you bought at Copart, you should consider that these have to be shown to the Department of Motor Vehicles for identification, according to the ADAC. In addition, an export license is only required if you want to export to a country outside the EU. These plates are usually valid for up to 12 months, and the red bar on the right side marks the expiration date of the license plate and the insurance.

Valid Car Insurance Is Required

As with any car purchase, insurance must be found after the purchase contract has been finalized. The most important document is the valid car insurance. The export plate depends on the validity of the insurance. You can purchase the export license number insurance with different validity periods of one to 12 months. This is a pure liability insurance, the coverage of which depends on the respective countries. More information can be found here.

If you still have questions about this topic, you can contact us anytime. Are you looking for vehicles to export? Bid at every Tuesday and Thursday at 10 o’clock on an extensive inventory of used and accident-damaged vehicles.